Whenever a foreign particle enters our body, the immune system recognizes it as foreign and tries to attack and destroy it. Once the body is attacked by a particular microbe, our immune system keeps a record of it and can disable it more easily if the same microbe enters the body again. Normally if we get a viral infection, our immune system works against it by producing antibodies and we get rid of it in a few days without taking any medication. All of this happens only when we have a strong immune system. On the other hand, if our immune system is weak we are prone to more infections and it takes longer to recover.
Ayurvedic Theory on the Immune System
According to Ayurveda, there are many factors contributing to a strong immune system.
- Digestion: our digestive fire (agni) plays a very important role in boosting our immune system. If the digestion is strong, the food we eat will be properly digested by our body and will be well absorbed, leading to a strong immunity (ojas). On the other hand, if the digestion is weak, the food will not be metabolized in the body and will create toxins (ama) in the body. These toxins suppress the immune system and start blocking different channels in our body.
- Mind: An unhealthy mind can lead to an unhealthy gut. If our mind is free of toxins and it is balanced, then we can have healthy digestion, which can further improve our immune system.
- Lifestyle: Ayurveda talks a lot about lifestyle, which can make a huge difference in one’s life and can help to prevent diseases. A healthy lifestyle includes eating according to your digestion, regular exercise, drinking enough water, including healthy foods, waking up early and sleeping early. These choices are all life enhancing.
Boosting Immunity with Ayurveda
Cleaning the body by removing toxins is a primary solution to boosting immunity. Correcting digestion is the next step, so that toxins are not accumulating in the body. Digestion can be improved if we start feeling and listening to our body and eat accordingly. Overeating will never improve your immune system. One should eat according to his/her digestion and body type (dosha). Ayurveda also advises using various rejuvenating herbs such as Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Turmeric, Amalaki, Shatavari and Tulsi to improve one’s immune system. It is advised to take these herbs only under the supervision of a qualified Ayurvedic doctor, as your dosha and present health condition need to be kept in mind.
Below are some everyday tips to enhance your immune system and stay disease free:
- Start your day with 1-2 glasses of warm water.
- Include yoga and pranayama in your daily routine.
- Sip lukewarm water throughout the day.
- Include spices like ginger, cumin, fennel, garlic and turmeric in your food.
- Take amla and aloe vera juice daily.
- Have more cooked and warm meals and less of cold meals.
- Do not skip meals.
- Eat mindfully.
- Make your dinner the lightest meal of the day.
- Have 6-8 hours of sleep daily.
If you wish to seek further information about the Ayurvedic principles or need support with immunity, we are just a call away at Aspects of Healing on 8110 4300. Enquiries can be emailed to email@example.com